Wednesday, February 20, 2013

African Animal Masks

February is the month set aside here to remember the contributions of my ancestors. One month out of 12...interesting!!??  Everyday for me is a time to remember the contributions of my ancestors, yours and all of our ancestors.

 Here's another project worked on with children at one of the schools.  This one was challenging for me. Cutting the shapes from recycled cardboard was the hardest part.  I'd suggest enlisting help of parents; an assistant or pre-cutting. Students drew their shapes while other preferred to use templates. Some wanted to do animals and others create their own non-animal design.  Also if  provided with very thin cardboard students can cut their shapes. I envisioned the masks as large as possible so I gathered cardboard boxes.  Encourage simplistic shapes without too many angles.  They are gessoed; and painted with acrylic and oil pastels .  Additional bits of cardboard are added to make them 3-dimensional.  These were done with older students of 3rd and 4th grade.  Younger students did watercolor paintings of masks which I'll post later. Quite nice and everyone was proud of their achievement.  Enjoy! www.colasmith.com






No comments:

Post a Comment